FOLKLORE MUSEUM | MonatsschlĂ¶ssl Hellbrunn
The way from the palace park in Hellbrunn near Salzburg leads through woodland to Hellbrunn Mountain, where the Folklore Museum has its idyllic seat, with a fantastic view onto the Hohensalzburg Fortress as well as the palace and the palace grounds of Hellbrunn. The MonatsschlĂ¶ssl was built by Archbishop Mark Sittich in 1615 and provides an attractive architectural setting for the presentation of the Folklore Museum collection, housed here since 1924. It presents an informative cross-section of the Museum's collection and gives visitors a view of the richly abundant holdings, with a special focus on cribs and religious craftwork, glass painting, furniture, ceramics, traditional garments as well as folk music and customs. Among the particularly valuable pieces are examples of eighteenth and nineteenth-century ornamental rustic furniture from the Pinzgau region and the collection of historical carnival costumes â€“ Perchten â€“ and actorsâ€™ masks. Changing temporary exhibitions provide insights into Salzburgâ€™s specific folklore culture.
The Hellbrunn MonatsschlĂ¶ssl, allegedly built within only one month in 1615 as a hunting lodge for Archbishop Mark Sittich (1612â€“1619), has been showing folklore exhibitions of the Salzburg Museum since 1924.
THE FOLKLORE COLLECTION
The collection, founded in 1904, conveys a comprehensive and in-depth view of Salzburg folk culture documenting the customs, folk piety, domestic culture and folk medicine. Among the highlights of the Folklore Museum is its display of the most beautiful examples of traditional garments typical of the regions of Salzburg. [...more]