STUDIENGEBĂ„UDE ALPENSTRASSE
AlpenstraĂźe 75
5020 Salzburg

im Stadtplan anzeigen


Mag. Werner Friepesz
T +43-662-62 08 08-104
F +43-662-62 08 08-720


 

Photography

History

The still young medium of photography enjoyed a high status only a few years after the founding of the Salzburg Museum, then still called Städtisches Museum – Municipal Museum. This is seen in the very early mentions in the annual reports of acquired photographs. An example of this is the portrait of Johann Panzl, which came into the museum as early as 1853 through the agency of the painter Georg Pezolt.

Collection range

The earliest pictures in the Photography Collection are daguerreotypes dated around 1840. They are primarily portraits of affluent citizens, such as Therese Roll, mother of the well-known Salzburg numismatist Karl Roll. However, the collection’s strength lies in the second half of the nineteenth century and in the years before the First World War. Many of these works are by early Salzburg photographers, such as Baldi & WĂĽrthle, Eduard Bertel, Anton Lentsch or Franz Segl. Besides the aforementioned portraits, these photographers also produced topographic pictures of the city and region of Salzburg. Another major part of the collection consists of picture postcards. Here, Salzburg topography is supplemented with cards from the bequest of Berthe Maria Denk, widow of the opera singer Richard Mayr, furthermore through the card collection in ink of the painter and writer Ulf Seidl and through a collection of rotogravure picture cards produced by Max Swatschek, owner of the Mayrische Buchhandlung (booksellers) in Salzburg from 1901 to 1918. A not insignificant part of the collection consists in the glass-plate photographs, which came into the museum at the turn of the century. The bequest of Bruno Kerschner supplement the collection dedicated to the time between the wars. The collection directors have enlarged the photographic collection over the decades according to key focuses, so that is has become a general collection of topographical pictures. 

New acquisitions

On the one hand, the museum aspires in its purchases of pictures to close existing gaps in the topographical genre and to provide a wider-ranging view of the activities of Salzburg photographers; on the other hand, the reception of suitable bequests enlarges the general range of the collection.

Transparency

On request, the Salzburg Museum makes its Photographic Collection available in Austria and abroad for research, exhibition, publications and even private use. Furthermore, the Photographic Collection benefits the other collections in the museum, whether for research or exhibition activities.
   

Image gallery

Suburb of Stein in Salzburg, ca. 1867, inv. no. F 81
Suburb of Stein in Salzburg, ca. 1867, inv. no. F 81
Historic city and new town seen from Mönchsberg towards Gaisberg, 1862, inv. no. F 82
Historic city and new town seen from Mönchsberg towards Gaisberg, 1862, inv. no. F 82
The Salzburg defence counsel Johann Panzl, 1853, inv. no. F 17127
The Salzburg defence counsel Johann Panzl, 1853, inv. no. F 17127
Young lady from the Storch family, ca. 1850, inv. no. F 17132
Young lady from the Storch family, ca. 1850, inv. no. F 17132
Salzach floods 1897, inv. no. F 17180
Salzach floods 1897, inv. no. F 17180
The later museum director of the Salzburger Museum Carolino Augusteum Eberhard Fugger (r.) in the pupils’ uniform of the Lodronisches Collegium Rupertinum, 1857, inv. no. F 17191
The later museum director of the Salzburger Museum Carolino Augusteum Eberhard Fugger (r.) in the pupils’ uniform of the Lodronisches Collegium Rupertinum, 1857, inv. no. F 17191
Panorama of Kapuzinerberg towards the historic city of Salzburg, 1904, inv. no. F 17550
Panorama of Kapuzinerberg towards the historic city of Salzburg, 1904, inv. no. F 17550
The young Hans Makart, 1856, inv. no. F 18541
The young Hans Makart, 1856, inv. no. F 18541
Felsenreitschule with Edmund's Castle, ca. 1867, inv. no. F 119158
Felsenreitschule with Edmund's Castle, ca. 1867, inv. no. F 119158
Universitätsplatz with tram in Salzburg, 1917, inv. no. F 19544
Universitätsplatz with tram in Salzburg, 1917, inv. no. F 19544
Gustav Jägermayer with his collodion photo developer carriage, 1860-70, inv. no. F 20283
Gustav Jägermayer with his collodion photo developer carriage, 1860-70, inv. no. F 20283
Felixpforte (gate) on Kapuzinerberg, early 20th c., inv. no. F 20962
Felixpforte (gate) on Kapuzinerberg, early 20th c., inv. no. F 20962
Boathouse in St. Gilgen am Wolfgangsee, 1907–14, inv. no. F 23097
Boathouse in St. Gilgen am Wolfgangsee, 1907–14, inv. no. F 23097
Mirabell Gardens and St. Andrew’s Church, 1960-65, inv. no. F 23279
Mirabell Gardens and St. Andrew’s Church, 1960-65, inv. no. F 23279
Salzburg Museum