Foto Header: © Stadtarchiv Salzburg, Fotoarchiv Franz Krieger (Detail)


9 MARCH 2018 TO 2 SEPT 2018

NEUE RESIDENZ | KUNSTHALLE
MOZARTPLATZ 1
5010 SALZBURG

show on city map


OPENING HOURS
Tue–So: 9 am –17 pm
In July, August and December 2018 the museum is also open on Mondays. 


Anschluss, War & Ruins - Salzburg and its museum during the Nazi regime

2018 – A year of remembrance and remembering: it was exactly eighty years ago, in 1938, that Austria became part of the Nazi German Reich. To mark this occasion, the special exhibition “Anschluss, War & Ruins” is focusing on the history of Salzburg between 1938 and 1945, starting with the “Anschluss” – Annexation – of Austria, then taking us through the war years until the time after the Nazi period.

The individual history of the institution will be set in relation to the history and culture of Salzburg during the Nazi period and to the course of the Second World War. The exhibition’s aim is to provide representative insights into a public cultural institution in the Nazi period. Photographs and film footage convey images of the events during the Nazi regime and testify to the close connection between culture and propaganda. Ultimately, they visualise the significance of Salzburg for Nazi ideology.

The exhibition shows a museum that in many aspects takes the stage as a “political” museum in the service of the objectives and ideologies of Nazism. Between 1938 and 1945, it fulfilled the cultural-political specifications in all the defined task areas and also profited hugely from Nazi confiscations in its collecting activities.

 

The History Studio

The interactive educational and communication room “The History Studio” is a supplement to the special exhibition. With the motto “What has history to do with us today?”, the focus is directed onto the memories of people from different age groups. On show are biographies, personal narratives and the various angles from which history is viewed. The room is like a snapshot, instantaneously evoking an awareness of history, tracing it and reflecting upon it – an act of remembrance portioned out among thirteen people from four generations. Film shows, lectures and inter-generation mornings round off the versatile programme.
  

curator: Hon.-Prof. Mag. Dr. Martin Hochleitner

 

 

Image Gallery

Vorfahrt von Adolf Hitler auf den Residenzplatz in Salzburg am 6. April 1938, Franz Krieger (1914–1993), SW-Fotografie, © Stadtarchiv Salzburg, Fotoarchiv Franz Krieger
Vorfahrt von Adolf Hitler auf den Residenzplatz in Salzburg am 6. April 1938, Franz Krieger (1914–1993), SW-Fotografie, © Stadtarchiv Salzburg, Fotoarchiv Franz Krieger
Kinderfoto Fritz Moosleitner: „Soldaten“ am Rengerberg mit österreichischer und Salzburger Fahne, um 1940, © Fritz Moosleitner
Kinderfoto Fritz Moosleitner: „Soldaten“ am Rengerberg mit österreichischer und Salzburger Fahne, um 1940, © Fritz Moosleitner
Der Sonntagsspaziergang, Carl Spitzweg (1808–1885), 1841, © Salzburg Museum
Der Sonntagsspaziergang, Carl Spitzweg (1808–1885), 1841, © Salzburg Museum
Bildnis der Freifrau von Waldberg, Hans Makart (1840–1884), 1883–1884, © Salzburg Museum
Bildnis der Freifrau von Waldberg, Hans Makart (1840–1884), 1883–1884, © Salzburg Museum
Figurale Komposition „Sub Rosa“, Hans Makart (1840–1884), um 1880, © Salzburg Museum
Figurale Komposition „Sub Rosa“, Hans Makart (1840–1884), um 1880, © Salzburg Museum
Wiedervereinigung Österreichs mit dem Deutschen Reich, 1938, © Salzburg Museum
Wiedervereinigung Österreichs mit dem Deutschen Reich, 1938, © Salzburg Museum
Wegweiser „Zum städt. Museum, Franz Josefs Kai Nr. 17“ vor der Ruine des SMCA nach Bombenzerstörrungen, 1944, Fotoabzug auf Papier, © Salzburg Museum
Wegweiser „Zum städt. Museum, Franz Josefs Kai Nr. 17“ vor der Ruine des SMCA nach Bombenzerstörrungen, 1944, Fotoabzug auf Papier, © Salzburg Museum
Bürgerspital St. Blasius mit Bombenschaden, 1946, Fotoabzug auf Karton, © Salzburg Museum
Bürgerspital St. Blasius mit Bombenschaden, 1946, Fotoabzug auf Karton, © Salzburg Museum
Wegweiser „Zum städt. Museum, Franz Josefs Kai Nr. 17“ vor der Ruine des SMCA nach Bombenzerstörrungen, 1944, Fotoabzug auf Papier, © Salzburg Museum
Wegweiser „Zum städt. Museum, Franz Josefs Kai Nr. 17“ vor der Ruine des SMCA nach Bombenzerstörrungen, 1944, Fotoabzug auf Papier, © Salzburg Museum
Studio Geschichte, © Salzburg Museum
Studio Geschichte, © Salzburg Museum
Bücherverbrennung auf dem Residenzplatz in Salzburg am 30. April 1938, Franz Krieger (1914–1993), SW-Fotografie, © Stadtarchiv Salzburg, Fotoarchiv Franz Krieger
Bücherverbrennung auf dem Residenzplatz in Salzburg am 30. April 1938, Franz Krieger (1914–1993), SW-Fotografie, © Stadtarchiv Salzburg, Fotoarchiv Franz Krieger
Eröffnung der Ausstellung „Entartete Kunst“ im Salzburger Festspielhaus am 4. September 1938, Franz Krieger (1914–1993) , SW-Fotografie, © Stadtarchiv Salzburg, Fotoarchiv Franz Krieger
Eröffnung der Ausstellung „Entartete Kunst“ im Salzburger Festspielhaus am 4. September 1938, Franz Krieger (1914–1993) , SW-Fotografie, © Stadtarchiv Salzburg, Fotoarchiv Franz Krieger
Doppelradschlossgewehr des Salzburger Erzbischofs Matthäus Lang (1519–1540), 1534, © Salzburg Museum/Stiftung Imfeld
Doppelradschlossgewehr des Salzburger Erzbischofs Matthäus Lang (1519–1540), 1534, © Salzburg Museum/Stiftung Imfeld
Kammhelm, Urnenfelderzeit, Bronze, Nach Vorbildern aus dem griechischen Raum gestaltet, aus zwei separat getriebenen Bronzeblechen vernietet, © Salzburg Museum
Kammhelm, Urnenfelderzeit, Bronze, Nach Vorbildern aus dem griechischen Raum gestaltet, aus zwei separat getriebenen Bronzeblechen vernietet, © Salzburg Museum
Schnabelkanne, Latènezeit, Bronze, © Salzburg Museum
Schnabelkanne, Latènezeit, Bronze, © Salzburg Museum
Salzburg Museum