The Fortress Museum was re-opened in September 2000 in splendidly restored rooms in the “Hoher Stock” (high floor) wing of the Hohensalzburg Fortress, which was first begun in 1077 and extended several times afterwards. It documents the history of the fortress and castle life.
On show are archaeological excavation discoveries including Roman coins and ceramics, the remains of the wall of a Roman fort on the very top of the fortress heights, a medieval heating system, as well as twelfth-century Romanesque arcades exposed during reconstruction work and a medieval treasure of gold. Furthermore, the Fortress Museum displays weapons and armour, instruments of torture, a complete castle kitchen, Gothic furniture and sixteenth and seventeenth-century handicrafts as well as historical military musical instruments.
The Hohensalzburg Fortress is one of the largest medieval castle complexes preserved in Europe, with fifty buildings covering a total floor space of 33,000 square metres. From the Fortress Museum, visitors are treated to a fantastic view of Salzburg. The Fortress Museum won the 2001 Austrian Museum Award.
Design: Heinz Wondra, Graz
Graphic design: grafic'design pürstinger, Salzburg